skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Ready, set, wash, dry and sew!
Set aside the eight yards of wool and eight yards of silk I mentioned earlier, I washed, pre-shrunk and dried approximately thirty five yards of fabric today. Yep, the small boatload of on sale goodies I bought online recently. Buying fabric online can be a bit tricky but we'll save that for another post. Didn't mention it earlier but also found some fantastic shirting plaids (Calvin Klein) and plan to bone up on my plaid matching skills with it. Some of the plaid I got is so (sheer), light weight and drapey, it will make a nice rockabilly retro dress if lined right. I found some nice medium weight plaid twill shirting that will sew up well for grown boy child. I will make into either one, two or all of these vintage inspired dresses out of some retro looking cotton, for my mom who will turn eighty soon. She has a sense of fashion and gets a kick out of scoring designer names at the thrift stores but nothing like these have shown up. The black dress below is a Marian Martin.
Tomorrow will be a good day to dust off the sewing machines, I use a Seiko industrial straight stitcher and a Juki serger and roll between the two to accomplish my projects. Will have to locate the pressing tools and find a good place to set up the ironing board. And of course my (rather large) work bench has been a catch-all for over three years at least. I don't know what happened, I just lost those sewing years somewhere along the way. Mid life just snuck up on me, I hadn't planned on missing grown boy so much, sorry just rambling now. This blog will be a good thing, I hope to make several coats to donate this winter. The only thing about wool is that it requires dry-cleaning and some people can be allergic to it.