Friday, July 15, 2011

Fabric sale - uh oh!

I've recently discovered a few sewing blogs that have inspired me to dust off the old machines and have at a little sewing fest. I found some fantastic clearance sales online over the 4th of July week and snatched up a small boatload of fabrics and a few patterns as well. I will try my hand at making a couple of summery vintage retro type dresses, the ones that have the fitted bodice and full skirts. I found a mod looking loose weave wool (real wool) that I will make a cape with and line with a colorful, soft rayon challis. I also want to make a fanny length trench coat with some really nice coat weight ivory pin wale corduroy that I think I will line with a pale slate blue with dots light weight cotton. Then there's a turquoise black gray silk print, don't know what it will become but just too sweet and on sale to pass up :)


I really don't know what I was thinking when I ordered the wool. My gosh, it's been pushing 100 degrees daily with 90-100% humidity here in my neck of the southeast woods but I've never sewn with it and wanted to try it. I also bought a substantial light blue wool herringbone plaid that will be worked into a cape or coat of some sort. Like I said, it was a super sale!! If all goes well, I will have at least a cape and a coat (the wool ones) that I can be proud to gift away or donate to the annual GMA (Burlington) coat drive later this year.  So there, I've put it out there, this is a to do list that should keep me busy for a few months at least. I will post some pics of the fabrics and patterns when I have that part coordinated. I have come across an awesome tutorial on matching plaids at this blog, this made sense to me! 


So, wish me luck? Hopefully, I won't burn up the A/C by running it at 50 degrees to deal with the warmth of  the wool... I'm  sweating just thinking about it :)