Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Assignment Bombshell

Phew, it's been so very busy at work for the past month. It is a blessing to have had such a wonderful (busy for a change) month but it is nice to see Fall on the horizon. The college students are back in town, the local kids are back in school, summer is coming to an end and our new routines are falling into place. Finally, I can put my own agenda out in front now and it's a healthy load believe me; I am definitely feeling up to the challenge! Let's not forget the boatload of fabrics and projects I have lined up already. Before I get to those though, there's been a little detour: uh, the bustier class!


I enrolled in an online course a few weeks back, taught by one of our fellow bloggers, Gretchen "Gertie" Hirsch. Her course was a lot of fun, fulfilling, taught well and aptly called "The Perfect Fit Bombshell Dress".This is funny for me because I am so NOT the bombshell gal but really more like a Lois Lane. Does anyone remember Lois?

As it turns out, my whim has actually turned out to be just the pre-requisite I needed for what was to come. I received a call last week from a co-worker asking me if I could make two specialty dresses for her. And, they are (she is) Bombshell-ish to say the least! I'm instantly thinking to myself the timing here is pretty incredible and this could be either a blessing or a curse. I have decided right here and now that this experience is going to be a blessing and the force is going to be with me every step of the way.


One of the dresses will be made in Gator colors (she's a Gator) and the other in Seminole colors (her boyfriend is a Seminole). In this neck of the woods, these two are bitter rivals and I am just going to say a little prayer right now that both of these dresses turn out equally beautiful. There will be boning, a muslin, a few fittings, lining, interlining, bra cups (maybe), a side zipper and a flouncy neckline. Yikes, I am up to the challenge, I say, I am up to the challenge. I will have the final pictures in a couple of weeks.  Here's an image of the pattern. I hope the fabric choices will be sensible, this part is beyond my control. And may the best team win, they both have new coaches this year!



Photo